Pentagon Declares M18 Handgun Safe and Reliable After Sweeping Review

The Pentagon is standing firmly behind the M17 and M18 service pistols after a formal review found no evidence that either weapon has discharged because of a mechanical failure.

Military officials said “there has never been a mechanically caused accidental discharge” involving the widely issued handguns.

The Aug. 7 statement followed a review of the Modular Handgun System led by the Army’s Project Manager Soldier Lethality.

The review examined safety concerns surrounding the military pistols, which are based on the civilian SIG Sauer P320 design.

That examination was launched after an airman was shot and killed in an incident involving an M18. Initial accounts blamed an alleged “uncommanded discharge,” raising immediate questions about whether the pistol had fired without its trigger being pulled.

The deadly incident prompted Air Force Global Strike Command to order an immediate inspection of every M18 under its authority.

The command also temporarily paused use of the weapon, although that restriction was lifted approximately one month later.

Investigators eventually uncovered a far different account from the claim that the handgun had spontaneously fired.


Three airmen connected to the shooting were charged with lying to investigators about what actually happened.

Air Force Arrests Airman in Fatal Shooting Case Involving M18 Pistol
The Air Force has arrested an airman in connection with the July 20 death of another airman, which involved a Sig Sauer M18. (Airman Elijah Strickland/U.S. Air Force)

According to the allegations, the airmen initially claimed the pistol simply “went off” when the shooter slammed his duty belt against a desk.


Investigators instead determined that the weapon had been pointed at the victim in a “joking manner,” a reckless act with fatal consequences.

The Army said it has investigated every reported incident involving Modular Handgun System pistols allegedly firing without a trigger pull.


Firearms mishaps account for less than 0.006% of all MHS pistols issued, according to the military’s findings.

“All investigated incidents of alleged ‘uncommanded discharges’ have been traced back to the trigger being pulled,” Army officials said.

That conclusion places the responsibility on weapon handling rather than some hidden defect lurking inside the pistol.

Officials also blamed “public speculation and online misinformation” for fueling concerns about the military handgun’s safety.

Air Force Resumes Use of M18 Pistols with Stronger Oversight
The Air Force has resumed using the Sig Sauer M18 pistol for its Global Strike security forces airmen following an inspection of thousands of the weapons. (Staff Sgt. Joshua Hoskins/Air Force)

In the current social media environment, rumors can sprint around the world before investigators have finished checking the weapon, the ammunition, and the testimony.

The controversy is not entirely imaginary, however, because the civilian P320 has faced years of legal scrutiny.

The handgun has been connected through allegations and lawsuits to dozens of injuries and several deaths involving claims that rounds were fired without an intentional trigger pull.

More than 100 legal challenges have targeted the SIG design since its introduction in 2014, producing varying outcomes.

Attorneys in many of those cases have argued that the pistol’s passive safety systems may not adequately prevent unintended manipulation of the trigger.

There is also an important distinction between the military models and the civilian P320 pistols at the center of many complaints.

The M17 and M18 include a manual safety, providing service members with an additional physical control not found on every civilian configuration.

Air Force Suspends Use of M18 Pistols After Fatal Incident at F.E. Warren AFB – M4's Temporarily Issued
U.S. Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Andrew Nunez, a mortarman with 3d Battalion, 3d Marines, fires an M18 Modular Handgun System during a Combat Marksmanship Program range at Camp Hansen, Okinawa, Japan, July 7, 2022. This training sharpened Marines’ critical combat arms skills by executing transition drills and increasing their proficiency in switching between primary and secondary weapons. 3/3 is forward deployed in the Indo-Pacific under 4th Marines, 3d Marine Division as part of the Unit Deployment Program. Nunez is a native of Los Angles, California. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Micha Pierce)

SIG’s design received DoW approval in 2017 after winning the military competition to replace aging service pistols.

Since then, the M17 and M18 have become standard issue sidearms across the Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Navy.

More than 400,000 of the pistols are currently in military service, making any credible mechanical problem a major readiness and safety concern.

That massive fielding also gives investigators a substantial body of real world performance data rather than a small sample shaped by internet chatter.

The Pentagon’s review does not erase the need for strict weapons discipline, proper maintenance, and serious investigation whenever a service member is injured or killed.

It does make clear, however, that officials found trigger pulls behind the reported military incidents, not pistols mysteriously firing on their own.

For troops carrying the M17 or M18 every day, the message from the Pentagon is direct: the weapon is considered safe and reliable when handled correctly.

The machinery, officials say, is doing its job, while careless handling and false stories remain the more dangerous combination.



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




Scroll to Top

Sign Up for Our Daily Newsletter

Receive The Populist Time’s hard-hitting coverage, direct to your inbox!